Candy Striping is a balloon technique that uses entertainer balloons to create a candy striping effect.
- a pedestal and a base
- 4-8 latex balloons (4 should be one size smaller than the other)
- 1 X 160Qs
- 1 X 260Qs
- 1 X 350Qs
Tip: The larger the balloon size, the bulkier the design will be.
How to Assemble:
1. Make a cluster of four and attach to the base of the pedestal.
2. Inflate four 160Qs, 260Qs, or 350Qs.
3. Leave an inch or two at the top, so the ends can be used to secure the balloons to the pedestal at the end.
4. After the balloons are inflated, create two duplets by using the neck of the balloon.
5. Once the two duplets are created, securely hook one duplet on each side of the last cluster.
6. Once all four entertainer balloons are upright, begin wrapping them around the pedestal, making sure to keep moving them all in the same direction at the same time. The spiral shape should start to take place.
7. As you get close to the end of the pedestal, take one of the ends and use it to securely wrap around the other three ends of the entertainer balloon.
8. In pairs, twist two balloon ends together and cut off the tip (to let the air out) and tie a tight knot. Do this for both sides.
9. Add more clusters to the top of the pedestal to complete the design.
In the second video tutorial below, Sandi Masori displays another method to making a spiral column.
Candy striping can also be done on a table arch.